And He answered and said unto them, "I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out."

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sunday Scribblings # 228

Please click here to see more
The prompt this week is: view. What's the view from your window? What's your view on life? On the current world situation? What's the best view you have ever seen? Had? What's your dream view? Have you expressed your views?




A Fork In The Road by *intao on deviantART


A Room with a View


Most times I sit and type my blogs in my front room. It is a gateway to several places in the house. My bedroom, bathroom, dining room and up the stairs. From here I can listen to my children complain about homework. Or watch them post things on Facebook, since our computer is centrally located in our frontroom, thank you very much. I can watch my hard working husband crash on the couch. I can get the front door. It's a very good view of what is going on in our little home.

I am in my last semester at the local college and will need to make a decision about what to do beyond my associate's degree. I don't even know that it matters. I'm doing this so that I will have some type of paper to show that I have education to do a job--that doesn't exist anymore. I will be taking classes that will go towards the old Liberal Arts degree but they've titled it different. If I don't do this, then I will have several years of extra classes to take and I'm not sure I want to do that.

I'm older now. I am approaching 50 in a couple of years or so. The dreams I had when I was young stayed there and new ones took their place. But dreams don't pay bills or feed a family.

My view is one of transition and stability. It seems that I am exactly where I am supposed to be. I am a stay at home mother who is available for her children. I am guiding my children to become more independent and self reliant so that when the time comes, they will fly. Some people embrace this but I chafe at the very thing I like. Stability.

The other view is one of transition. I am getting older and it cannot be escaped. The options that were open to me in my 20s and 3os are no longer feasible. I am a dreamer from way back and I suppose I always will be. Responsibilites and age are clouding my view.

3 comments:

Dee Martin said...

well first of all kudos for slogging it out with the classes. I've got a bit over five years on you and I don't think I could do it.

I was a stay at home mom for ten years and it was the hardest but best thing I have ever done. Financially, emotionally, every ....ally you can think of - just fill in the blanks. I work full time now in a job that would pay more than twice as much if I had a degree but I can't quit because it pays for the health insurance that is our lifeline.
Still - I like what I do, and I work with wonderful people. My kids are in college and somehow we are making it. None of this gives you any answers - just some companionship maybe? LOL Hang in there, I'll say a prayer for you.

Old Egg said...

Your readers will feel honored to hear about your goals, your family and your dreams. I don't think you need advice. You are making the right decisions but like us all that bogeyman "transition" constantly appears before us.

brenda w said...

I like the honesty and self examination of your post. I agree with you about changing options. Teaching is my second career, and I feel lucky to have a job. They like to hire young people.

Your children are blessed to have you home. As a teacher, my schedule mirrors my kids, and that is a blessing to us.

Thanks for sharing your views.
~Brenda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...